Friday, October 03, 2008

 

Stupid Politics

The other day, my wife and I noticed that Sarah Palin reminds us of my mother-in-law, who happens to be a big fan of the governor. She doesn't look like Palin, especially, but they have similar personalities and expressions. At first it seemed a little eerie that she would be voting for "herself," but it occurred to me that we all do that, to some extent. On some level, we want the winner of the election to be the one who believes the most like us so that s/he will make the decisions that we would make in his/her position, if we had all the information that s/he would have. And some people will vote for Obama because he is black like they are, and some people will vote against him because he is black and they are not. Polls seem to indicate that the McCain campaign got a real jolt when he announced Palin as his VP, and it seems probably that some people will vote for her because she is a woman (and there are some very conservative people who don't know what to do because they don't want to vote for a woman or Obama). We want to vote for a candidate that remind us of ourselves, especially on our best days. That's why good speakers like JFK are so enrapturing: we want to be like them, that determined and optimistic, even if we are actually cynical. And that's why politics is so personal: we identify with our candidates on some kind of intimate level, and when people dismiss that candidate, it is easy to take it as a personal affront.

I hate how things get every four years at about this time. I have enjoyed listening to NPR with some regularity for the past two years, but right around election time, I just want to punch reporters in the face. I really don't believe in our government. I feel like voting for politicians is just stating who I think will keep screwing up the government less. And definitely, on some level, I'm taking things personally. I have the control not to say anything and to realize that what I'm thinking is untrue, but I find myself joining in the fray of thinking that anyone who doesn't agree with me must be a complete moron instead of a reasonable, thoughtful person who has come to a different conclusion than I have.

Not as any kind of taunt, or because I think the candidate I intend to vote for is so wonderful, but for the sake of our country:

may the best man win.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
I like your style, Adam. I as well have been getting increasingly frustrated with the media and people in general since this election. It's a shame too because McCain and Obama are actually the first two candidates I could legitimately see voting for since I could vote in the 2000 elections. 2000 and 2004 depressed me, and 2008 started with such promise. Now I'm bombarded by political distortions and insults even when looking at something like a facebook status message of one of my "friends." Some of these are arguments, while some are flat-out lies (I have a friend with an Obama quote that is not just taken out of context but also changes some of the words to better suit their cause). I'm attempted to say something but fear alienating or attacking these people who are supposed to be friends of mine. Elections get people even more emotionally charged than usual because there's actually something to "win." I just hope that the election is won by people who support their candidate's ideologies and policies rather than which side inspires the most ranting for them and hate against the other side.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?