Saturday, December 29, 2007

 

2007- A year in review

So, here's a tribute to 2007 as experienced by Adam:

For half of 2007, I lived with Matt Huested and his family. They were gracious enough to open up their home to me for a cheap rent and live among them. I had been living in a rough roommate situation and moving in with them was a very happy alternative. It was nice to be able to occasionally sit down and eat meals with the family. Matt was also nice enough to let me learn how to smoke my pipe with him, as we sat on his back porch or huddled in his attic playing chess.

For the first 4 months, I was part of a house-church that met in the Huested home, continuing from 2006. At that time, we decided all together that the time for our church had come to a close and that we should pursue our worship and reaching out into our communities through other churches. The house church was a great support for me as I came to Louisville and played a large role in helping me deal with cynicism in my heart against the United States in general still carried over from the years while I was living in Nicaragua. It's crazy the stuff we continue to cling to.

2007 has also been a year of Starbucks. I don't know what to say about that except that it is nice to have a job and one that has so many co-workers with whom I enjoy working. And the free coffee is nice, too.

2007 was my first full year of being a seminary student... and seems to be also the last. It's really funny the way we make plans and work on steps toward reaching our goals, only to find that the steps we were taking were the right steps, but to an entirely different goal.

To speak directly, I did not come to Louisville to meet my wife. I knew I could only meet my wife wherever I was looking, but I never really figured on Louisville. So, January 15 of this year, I met her in the coffee shop co-owned by my landlord. I had her at "nice Mac." We started getting to know each other over the next few months and on April 20, I asked her to marry me. She said yes before she vomited. On August 18, 2007, I married my amazing wife in her parents' backyard in the garden. Two months later we bought our quirky little blue house, moved in the piano that I wanted to give her as a gift and acquired two dogs (one of which was hers before and one of which we picked out together). We spent our first Christmas together in our quirky little blue house with our own little Christmas tree.

Because of weddings and such, I got to see a lot of my friends this year that I did not expect to. I am very happy for that.

This has been a year of changing plans. I think if 2007 were to have a moral for me, it would be that life is never what you expect it to be, but that things never seem to be as bad as they could be.

Thank you, 2007. You've been a good 'un.

Comments:
Seems like you had a good year. I really wish we could have gotten together, but hopefully that will happen in 2008:) How are things continuing in the little blue house? Amusingly enough we are renting a little blue house. We should start a club. Email me. Miss you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?