Sunday, September 24, 2006

 

"It is not good for Adam to be alone..."

Loneliness is one of the worst stages of life. I felt lonely most of the time I was in Nicaragua. And this weekend was a reminder of just how horrid that was. Friday and Saturday I saw very few people outside of work. I can only remember seeing my roommate and just a few acquaintances as I sat alone eating lunch on friday. I try to blame the rain, but the truth is that I chose to stay in my apartment instead of looking for a nice, warm coffee house to cuddle into. And it would be nice if I could blame it on the fact that I was doing school work. I had plenty to do, but I kept putting it off. I'm really nervous about this next paper. It's just a book review...and it's only 10% of the final grade, but I really am unsure what the grader (not the prof) is expecting. *sigh* Expectations. But I digress. I have friends in town and I have tried to hang out with them, but it seems that they are like every other American and don't have time to slow down more than once or twice a week. Maybe I should just go drive over to U of L campus and look for anybody having fun.

I'm reminded of that great 60's hit: "Another Saturday Night." It's hard on a fella when he don't know his way around. If I don't find me a honey to help me spend my money, I'm gonna have to blow this town. It's not really the honies that I'm after, but I do need to find some friends. It isn't good for man to be alone. It's the first thing God says about man besides that "it was very good." I find that to be an important truth. We don't do well on our own. We need to interact with other human beings. That's all I've got.

Comments:
Ay Adam, la soledad no es facil, pero te puede decir que todos estamos contentos de que hallas regresado, aunque no podemos verte mas amenudo. Y aunque hallas sentido soledad en Nicaragua, estabas haciendo algo bueno para la humanidad. Entonces esta es la hora de aprovechar a tus amigos y familia. Y sobre haberte perdido muchas de las cosas que ocurrieron, hay demasiadas que no valen la pena ni el tiempo. So welcome back!
 
This post made me think of that Sondheim song from into the woods that "no one is alone". We're all here for you, even when we can't be "here" for you. ALthough I know that isn't the best consolation when you need a face to face connection. You should find a frisbee group! Instant connection, just add disc:)
 
hey man, i can feel you on that issue. not literally feel you, of course--that would be gay. it's hard to be in an unfamiliar town and not have many friends. i find it hard to interact socially because a lot of these seminary types are pretty uptight. oh well.

i guess we'll just keep on trudging along.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?