Friday, September 08, 2006

 

Hippies and Feminists

I've been wanting to put my thoughts down about this for some time in some form of media, but I can't seem to get my thoughts straight. Oh, well; here goes.

It seems to me that hippies and the civil rights movement and the women's rights movement all had something right, but that when it came to legislation passed, they settled for things that didn't matter. Like, with civil rights, they passed legislation furthering welfare that, looking back, seems to have worked against the idea of equality that they were fighting for. What rights did women get? Equal wages? I wish. Does it seem like the only thing the feminist movement acheived was more promiscuous sex? Because it seems to me that women had more sexual power when they were less likely to *achem* give it up [Abortion rights aside]. All in all, with these civil rights movements, I feel like the important issues were cast aside in favor of the issues which didn't matter but that were moderate enough that they were passed into legislation.

Did we stop fighting for what was right because we won a battle that didn't matter?

Hippies saw that something was wrong with the way their parents were doing government. After the death of Kennedy, surrounded by controversy and shortly erupting in a war in Vietnam, it became clear that certain parties were stooping to new lows to acheive what they wanted. Suddenly, killing off a man who was elected to represent the people was acceptable and "secret" government agencies felt no qualms using the same techniques they used for foreign "relations" within our own government. Big issues. Whatever happened to the hippies? It seems like they all picked one issue and started to sink to the same level as the big government: my issue at any cost. Or they sold straight out and just started working for or owning the major corporations that run the politicians.

What happened to the American Way? We still have a way, it's just that now it's "my issue at any cost." Nothing but my issue is sacred.

And I am very afraid of these party lines. Suddenly all Democrats are for certain sides of issues while Republicans represent only the opposing view. So, if, for example, I support the ideology of "pro-choice," then I will vote Democrat, no matter what else they stand for. If I support "our boys in Iraq," I can only vote Republican. (If I want a small federal government that lets the states handle all the areas that the constitution entitles them to handle, then I don't have anyone to vote for. Jerks.) This polarization of the nation is bad news and will not get fixed by enough converts from one party switching to another. It's just not going to happen.

Like I said, my thoughts are not very concise right now, but I just needed to put them down somewhere. I worry about this nation. Feel free to respond critically.

P.S. y'all don't be fighting in my comments section. The only person you're allowed to fight with on my blog is me.

Comments:
Hrm... a few thoughts, also put down with out major attention played to how ellequently they are written.

As for the hippies and the feminist, or even equality... Sometimes its easier to first make people realize different colored people, are all people. Then make them realize that as people they are the same, in thoughts and all that. Then show them why as people who are the same they should get to vote. As people who are the same they should get the same wages.

Baby steps is much easier on people who are resisting change than huge leaping strides that people will rebell against no matter what. The trick is to not give up. Perhaps the hippies did not give up, perhaps they now own corperations in attempt to get the fighting power they need to make changes. Then again, maybe they did give into temptation.

I do agree that we have a lack of choices with everything polarized and no middle ground for those who might want one. I think that at this particular time more than any time in recent history the 'two party system' is failing us. I think we need more canidates with more options and who are not controlled by the two big parties. Its hard for a Democrat or a Republican to take a non 'party' stance on something with out the party disowning them and forcing them out of the race. I think we need more options.

I do think its always about comprimise no matter what. I doubt, no matter how many canidates run, that some one will agree with all my issues. I want government healthcare but not big government (as I think it has become to powerful and is not responding to its citizens any more), I am pro choice, pro gay marriange and what might be considered an 'extreemist' when it comes to cracking down on enviromental law. With those above mentioned things, I might mostly be a democrat but I am more than that. I don't agree with all their issues but I must decide what issues are most important to me, what issues can I comprimise on because not everyone is going to see things the way that I do even if a perfect canidate for me is going to be found. But I still say more options are needed so that America as a whole can pick canidates that more closly represent them as opposed to thess highly polarized choices we have right now.

Bah that was all poorly written. Did I express myself well enough that my point was made?

P.S. Jason and I were discussing 'American Culture' and what Americans value, and it sort of pertains to 'my issue at any cost'. We are a society that values the self above the whole, for better or for worse. I think it ends up making our 'my issue at any cost' even more heightened because of our attitude about this. Just a thought.
 
I think it's not that hippies and feminists settled. I think it's more complex than that. You see, the dog was born from a 3 legged mother... oh wait. We're not Thurgood, nor are we cuban.

See I think that thus in America's history our hippies, feminists, whathaveyou, have lacked appropriate vision (read "sense of direction for group" or "long term game plan"). They began with baby steps. But as time went on, the baby steps became the end in themselves, because no one in the movement could keep an appropriate long term vision for the actions of the group, and because when new blood infused the movement, what vision they had was further lost by the dilution/dispersion of the initial momentum.

Thats what I think.
 
Movements such as the civil rights, the peace movement of the "hippies," and the feminist movement weren't (aren't) just about legislation. These movements do a lot to create dialogue amongst the people of this country, and not just the Senators, etc who are in power. Once the people of this country are aware of certain issues, they can then take those issues to their own Senator, Representative and vote accordingly. Not only that, they can become more tolerant in their own lives when it comes to dealing with people of another color, sex, or sexual orientation.

I'm fairly certain that the feminist movement had nothing to do with more promiscuous sex, and that getting women the right to vote was pretty huge.

We do have a polarized government where it seems if one politician strays from the party lines, he will be outcast (See Joe Leiberman). More candidates are necessary, and they are out there. They just don't have enough money to compete with the likes of the Republicans and Democrats and their big pockets. Vote for the Green/Rainbow Party, the Libertarians, or whoever most closely aligns with your own feelings. Most of these campaigns can be more competitive at the local level. It's not likely for Ralph Nader to become president, but so and so of the Green Party could become a Town Selectmen. This is where change happens, and the 3rd parties can grow to be more of a force in State, and Federal elections of the future.

But I digress.

In the short term, perhaps it's best to vote with whichever candidate most closely aligns him or herself with your own thoughts on issues most important to you. Or, if you feel things aren't going well at all now, vote for the party not currently in power to change things up.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?