Friday, August 18, 2006

 

Melange!

I have been in Louisville for a little over a week now, including a full week of classes. It's an odd step. It makes sense, i suppose, but I can't tell if I'm moving forward or backward in going back to school. Everyone says that classes are hard and "not like undergrad." But they seem to be a lot like undergrad with just a greater expectation that students will excel and get things in on time. And I'm one of the most academic guys on campus. One of the advantages (disadvantages?) of attending a religious institution. They're more concerned with our believing the right thing than being able to articulate it well. That's okay, because I don't have to cave into that. Mr. Folds says, and I agree, that he never was okay with turning in a bunch of bunk.

Starting a new chapter always requires some saying goodbye to the previous chapter. Except that the last chapter was more like an entr'acte between two major chapters, 2-3 years long each. And very few new things got started during the past nine months. Friendships were rekindled, caught up with, a few were started, but most would really fall into the "acquaintance" category. I did meet Sara. and Jeff. and Dallas. and Luccia. I was able to say goodbye to a lingering question from many chapters ago in a perfect way that sent me on my way to the next chapter.

I'm old enough now, i think, to know what I want and who I want to be, although I still need a little work in being that person. Louisville, i think, will be a good crucible to let my personality simmer and to add a few things. I'm living in such a strange dichotomy on the campus of this religious institution, surrounded by students who believe unwaveringly in a Christian Right philosophy and politik, while nearby is a community of coffee shops and book shops and a "liberal" community that longs to protect the greenness of the waterfront area, to pull soldiers away from a war and who wants little to do with Jesus if he is best represented by a conservative political group. Oh, and bluegrass.

Addendum:

Eight and a half years ago, four adolescent boys stayed in a hotel room together and laughed at their own silliness hours into the already late night. They were friends before that, some of them better than others, but the power of an "in-joke" changed them, i think, that night. A strong connection was born, so much so that despite school choices and graduations and car accidents in parking lots and years apart, they still choose to run into each other and play catch up. Incidentally, if you're looking for me on December 31, 2007, I'll be with my friends in the Melting Pot, the Melange that is New York City.

Comments:
Yay for new Adam post!!!!:) I'm really impressed and proud of you, Adam. Not just for posting;) but for going forward and figuring out what you want to do and doing it. For taking time to go places and think about things. That is a really important step that a lot of people miss. Your talk of 8 years ago made me stop and think, exactly how long have we known each other? I had a crush on you for 3 or 4, then have been friends with you for 7 more on top of that. So far we're at a grand total of 11! Woohoo! Keep up the good work:) I'll work at it too.
 
Seriously, you were about a week away from losing your spot on my bookmarks list of blogs. Go ahead, breath a sigh of relief;).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?