Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

Bed

I'd like to thank the fans for their immediate responses and enduring support.

My dad is coming to town today, very much on his dime, to bring me a bed (among other things). A bed. It'll be nice to have a bed again, as I've been sleeping this past week on a friendly couple's and then my roommate's couch. I've become one of those people that doesn't need a comfortable bed every night...or maybe I've always been this way? At any rate, sleeping on floors in Nicaragua or on the ground in a tent makes sleeping on a couch seem like nothing worth complaining about. But it'll still be nice to get a bed.

It's actually my grandmother's bed. She's 8...3 and we finally convinced her to move out of her house where she's been living alone for at least 10 years in south-eastern Mississippi to go live near Nashville with my aunt. This is a hard time for her. She lived in that house for near 60 years. It's not easy to make great changes like that for any of us, especially as we get older and more set in our way. Although, she had a wonderful thing happen to her before she left. Garrison Keillor from Prarie Home Companion told a story telling of a man's funeral where everyone said great things about him. He said it was a tragedy wasn't there to hear all that, and that he only missed it by a few days. My grandmother had a little send-off party at her church. They all came and talked about their memories of her and nice things she'd done and talked about how much they're going to miss her. It was just like being a funeral where the person in focus is still alive and gets to hear all those nice things. May we all be so fortunate.

So, I know there were two beds in my grandmother's house that might be coming. One was in my dad's room from when he was a kid. It's a full size, so I don't know if he had it when he was a kid, but it is HIS. The other one was the one I slept on most of the time when I went to visit my grandmother. My Gran-gran. It's just funny to think how things can get passed down. She's been thinking about what she wants to pass along a lot in the past few years. She made my sister some 4-5 quilts and now she's working on me. She also left me Great-uncle Griffith's cuff links. I never met him, but being the only grandson, it kinda naturally falls to me and it's really touching to be given something with familial value.

Overall, I've been thinking a lot about how I'm going to make it lately. I don't have any money and even with scholarships and help from the parents, i don't know how I'm going to pull through. I'm looking for work, and that's going to help a lot. Even 20 hours would be huge. But knowing that I'm getting a bed that I can fall into each night that will be MY bed and MY place of solace helps me see that everything will work out. As it always has worked out. In the same way that birds don't save up food, and yet are provided for. In the same way that the lillies of the field are clothed. I do have food. And clothes. And a place to stay. And schooling. And a SWEET RIDE. And friends and family whom I love and who love me. I'm going to be okay.

Comments:
You're going to be ok. I feel like we're going through the same thing, not enough money, trying to figure out how to pay the bills and make it through. But I know that everything will be ok. Our families love us, God loves us, our friends love us, our kitties love us(they love you too Adam!). I'm glad you have faith, because it will be ok.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?