Wednesday, March 22, 2006

 

People who make me smile pt. 1

I work with an older gentleman who we call "Woody." We call him that because that is his last name. He is the sweetest man you could ever meet. When we are working on a project and he gets something wrong, he curses: "chicken!" He is happily married to his wife of who knows how many years. He's the kind of man who flirts with young girls and it's not "dirty old man." Sometimes he gets turned around and he likes having young ladies get him turned in the right direction. I worked with him 2 summers during college and again now, for a few months and he is a pleasure to work with. He's not afraid to admit he's wrong, even though he's a master electrician and I don't know anything about electricity but what I've learned from him. As you can guess, he's usually right, but even when he's not, he's proud of me for being right instead of refusing to accept the fact that a little whipper-snapper like me could be right. He has to walk real slow and I am able to haul things for him and hold the door. Everyone at the church where we work knows his name and always smiles and greets him in the hallway. He is a very simple man and seems to enjoy the simple things in life, and every now and then, he teaches me something about being simple. He also teaches me a lot about electicity. Maybe what I like most about him is that he really, genuinely seems to like me, just for being me. Sometimes, when we have to work in tight spots, I smell his body odor and I equate the smell with old men. It's not the sweetest smell, but he is the sweetest man and it is a pleasure to be alongside him every day I get a chance to be. Thank you, Woody, for being a bright spot in my life.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?