Monday, November 14, 2005

 

Lump

I think it's pretty easy to lump everyone I disagree with in the same category as "idiot." It is silly, of course. There are plenty of people with whom I disagree who are intelligent people willing to weigh all sides of issues. And also there plenty of people with whom i agree about things who agree with me out of ignorance and not because they have really thought about the issue. One of the things that really scares me about going back to the states is the obvious polarity, seen easily in almost all media that comes out of the US. If someone is a "liberal," they tend to go about bashing anyone who is "conservative" and vice-versa, all the while standing steadfastly by whoever they align themselves whether they are right or wrong. I know of very few people who ever allow for their opposition to be right or have a better idea than their own ideas...or even a good idea. If I'm a southern Christian, then obviously, I must agree 100% with the republican party and must believe conservatively on every issue, but the problem is that I don't. I am more than can be summed up in one word. I am more than can be summed up by a party affiliation. I hope that most people are. I have often in the past been accused of thinking too much, but I am so thankful that my problem is not the opposite.

Also, I'd like to thank Pat Robertson for helping encourage the belief that all Christians must be idiots. And I'd like to give a shout-out to the media for paying any attention to him at all.

Comments:
i had a big long thought about this, and was in the middle of posting it, and my comp spontaneously shut down, losing it all. so i will say this:

i agree.

and i think its a cycle in politics from both parties being in the middle (see Bush/Gore) to both parties being very split (now).

it was a deeper thought the first time, but...
 
I think its good that you take your stance issue by issue, thats the way that it should be done. I think for the ease of explanation I sometimes say that I am a liberal, but I do not agree with or disagree with everything that is said by them. I think the worst thing out there are the voters who vote by party with out listening to the issues.

But I know that I myself am guilty of 'lumping' people by parties and calling them idiots. Its much harder to always list out the values of the other side that I do not uphold and fully explain why I think they are wrong, sometimes it makes you feel better when your frustraighted to just call them idiots. Granted the media isn't supposed to do that... they should be unbiased and impartial. They are not and its unfortunate.

Thanks to you and others who (sometimes take the opposit side as me) think about their stance and vote by issue, it gives me hope. After working in phone polling, I kind of lost hope that there were many left. Some one who thinks on the issues and has soild backing such as yourself is no idiot by my standards even if we disagree.
 
You have been tagged!

Ground Rules: The 1st player of this "game" starts with the topic "5 weird habits of yourself" and people who get tagged need to write a blog/xanga entry about their 5 weird habits as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose the next 5 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says "You are tagged" in their blog/xanga and tell them to read yours.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?