Tuesday, August 23, 2005

 

Love, actually

Tonight was the most romantic night I've had in a while. In a good two years, no doubt. It's 3 am and I haven't gone to sleep yet. I watched a movie with a friend as a bit of advice to go get the girl he loves. I had a wonderful two-hour conversation with a gal, and let me go ahead and clarify that it was merely nice friendly conversation with an attractive member of the opposite sex and nothing more and that is, in fact, what was so great about it. All of this was sandwiched in my watching of Love Actually.

"Two movies in one night?" you're asking? Yes well, bugger off, they're cheap here and the video store rents 2 for 1 and the first movie was for the above-mentioned friend. "Bugger off?" you're asking, "Are you altogether British, then?" No, actually, although I seem to have been reading quite a few books authored by Britons and watching one or two movies taking place there. Right, then, have all questions been answered? Jolly good, let's off to continue our discussion of the movie.

I'm supposed to be off tomorrow (I was supposed to have been off today, but plans changed) for lands to the north and so watching both movies was a bit of a stupid idea. I had a time set for the first movie (6) and so couldn't really get another movie taken care of before i had to go watch the other, but when i sat down to supper, I figured I could maybe start the movie and then finish it when i got back or in the morning or never or whatever. I was absolutely drawn in. I do love ensemble casts, and the writer/director's views of love were stunning and blew me away. The pain was severe, the longing ached, the devotion was amazing beyong words. Every love that was touched upon in this movie went straight for the heart and is something that we all deal with. It was a discussion of the world around us and the director pulled no punches, even refering to the 9/11 incident, to showcase the love that surrounds us all. I feel giddy at having stayed awake for it all and after pausing the film 30 minutes in to go watch another one, I knew that I could not sleep tonight without finishing.

And the evening (morning) ends itself with my taking the Witts off for their trip to El Salvador. They'll be back later this week to get more stuff, but this is "the" trip. And that's romantic in and of itself, eh?

So, thank you all for the lovely, romantic evening. It's been a long time since I've stayed awake until 4:30 in the morning, and I have enjoyed every moment. Not too many evenings that I haven't wanted to end. Goodnight all, may your lives be sweeter than your dreams.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?