Saturday, April 30, 2005

 

Natural Course

I am slowly realizing a concept I decided was true a long time ago that seperates me from people like my sister. I depend on things to work themselves out naturally. This may stem from my overwhelming fear of making decisions, because if things are just going to work themselves out, why do I need to rock the boat and mess things up? Maybe I just want to believe things will work out naturally so I don't have to freak when it becomes too late in the game to affect the situation and I still don't know what I want. I told my sister lately that I didn't know what I wanted and she came back saying, "You don't know? Adam, that's so basic!" And it is basic, to know what one wants...which makes me feel like even more of a freak for not knowing. Am I missing something inside that gives me preference? It stretches to all parts of my life...and in the minor details it's a little refreshing "Blue toothbrush or red?" "I don't care, I just want a toothbrush; whichever you don't want." There is no fear to make a decision in this situation, there is just absolutely no preference. And I can argue with philosophical and theological matters all day, but even then, I mostly just argue as Devil's advocate, to make sure the person I'm arguing with sees the merits of the other side. So here it is: I either want to just agree with everyone or argue with them so that they can be on their way to being as indecisive as I am. Cause really, I'd mostly just rather give up that have to make a decision. I'm a jerk like that. What do you want to do for a living, Adam? Gee Willakers, I don't know! I'd just as soon get a job at McDonald's. I have no motivation and no drive. It's like I'm a bad American (a fact that is probably heightened by the fact that I am living as an ex-patriot).

Comments:
So I read this blog(or whatever it's called) and I had a huge desire to help you. Maybe give you some sort of advice. But then I realized, I'm terrible with words and they never come across the way I intend. So I thought that God's words would help.

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
-Proverbs 18:15

One thing that I always forget and have to be reminded of, is anything and everything I need to know, God will teach me. Or, in many cases, has already taught me and I was quick to forget.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."
-James 1:5-6

Try not to be concerned about making a choice. But be concerned about seeking God's choice.

And in the case of the toothbrushes, enie menie mini mo is always an option. :-)
 
Good advice, Sarah :) I think you're the Sarah Davis I know...I love the James verse. I sometimes fret, much like Adam, and then forget that I can ask God for things like wisdom and discernment. I let my silly human mind tell me that I can figure it out on my own, and I forget that there's something much bigger and more purposeful than myself that I should turn to more often for guidance.

You are a man of great substance, Adam, and I don't doubt for a second that you will be used by God (i mean that in a good way) for awesome things, since you already have been.
 
I second Meagan's second paragraph. (And I am the Sarah Davis that you know)
 
Adam, welcome to the club. The "I still don't know what I want to do with my life" club. I'm over $80,000 in debt with school and I still don't know. No worries. While I think you do have to make decisions occaisionally, I also think that whatever decision you make, it will be ok. I wasn't going to go to FSU and look what happened when I made that decision- it was great! I didn't want to go to the school I'm at now, but now that I'm here- it's great! Just have faith that everything will be ok no matter which toothbrush you choose. Your friends and family and God will always be there to love you- even if you stay at McDonalds;)
 
hey hey! Whats up, Adam? Thought I'd come and see what your blog is up to. Next step is attaching it to mine, so i can just point and click.

I as well am in the I dunno what I wanna do club. But for me, its not that important. I know i'll be fine and I'll be happy as long as I'm with those I love. The rest will just sort it self out as it does. For me anyhow its a matter of priorities. Pick the one(s) that matter and stick to em. And let the other chips fall where they may.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?