Saturday, January 29, 2005

 

And so...

Just to set a few things straight: I have chosen to extend my time here by two years (despite my supe's requesting that I go ahead and commit to an extra summer). This would have me staying here until the end of may, 2007. In honor of my decision to hang around, I am moving to a new house that, at first glance, appears to be safer than the one in which I currently reside. Actually, my thinking about moving it was finally led me to make a decision on extending in the first place. And this decision was confirmed by the fact that as soon as I made it, someone stole my spare tire and my grandpa died. So, moving day is wednesday, and I have much to do in terms of packing. I wish I didn't live in such filth. This is also helping me choose to move. In this new place, which is much bigger so that we can house teams that come down in it, I would have a maid come probably twice a week. So...Friday night I decided to move, monday, i went around and looked at houses, thursday, I talked over a contract, and wednesday, I'll move in. It's crazy how fast life moves sometimes and I don't know if that is completely wonderful or sucks a whole lot.

So, a question. I know that blogging should not be used to write out all your deepest thoughts for all the world to see (I've written one or two unpublished drafts, myself), but it seems to be the perfect location for people to talk about their lovelifes, both in complaint and in praise. And people DO write about it. Why not? So, it always seemed to me that it might be a bit...er...wrong for me to read my current girlfriend's blog (never had a blogging girlfriend, and don't currently have a girlfriend...this is all theory here, folks) so that she would feel free to write about what she wanted to write about without worrying that I might walk up to her and say "hey, you twisted my words in your blog" or whatever. And I think I have been proved wrong. It dawns on me that it is so appropriate that there be open dialogue. It is important to me that the girlfriend/wife (whenever God sends, ...and by the way *achem* we'd all appreciate it if you'd get on that for us, eh?) be open with me, and sometimes blogging is the absolute best way to do it. I know that I seem to vent best in written form and that I am much less likely to say something I didn't mean. But I can say EVERYTHING i do mean, and sometimes, if I could just get the vent out, no interruptions, and then talk about it later...it might help get through whatever situation is at hand.

Because honesty and trust are so important to me. I think that those are important values in our culture. When we watch tv shows, we boo the person that is disloyal and lies to their friends. We feel uneasy when a character we like HAS to lie for "the right reasons" and we try to justify their actions, because they are the exception to what is right. Many missionaries in this country...and in this part of the world, and probably all across the globe...and probably millions of people who aren't missionaries (I'm stopping here, you get the point) have trusted other people, maybe even some who have earned trust only to be stabbed in the back and for the person who did it to shrug their shoulders and say "hey, that's life, you shouldn't have trusted me." That idea increases my circulation. I'd like to think that I am not easily angered. But a few things really heat me up: lying, disloyalty/treachery, stealing, and taxi drivers. How in the world can someone go back on their word in a way that hurts their friends and is personally benefitting? I don't confess to be a sinless saint, but i just don't understand why people don't WANT to be honest and fair-dealing with each other. I lost my train of thought, so that's all.

Comments:
i agree about the love life blogging. it's a unique way of indirectly talking to someone, because they can choose to read it or not read it. but of course we hope they read it. in my case, recently, i honestly was not thinking he would read it, but he clearly did, and it's helped a lot.
You have to realize that although Butte is the armpit of Montana to me, Mississippi is, in some ways, the armpit of the South. This has nothing to say about the people I know from Mississippi, whom I take on a case-by-case basis only. Also, once you have lived here awhile, and Butte is part of the local vocabulary, you forget that it is spelled one letter shy of Butt with a capital B, because it is pronounced "byoot" (one syllable) and I think people got over the joke about it looking like "butt" about 150 years ago. :) Plus, people from Butte would kill you if you said anything negative about their town.
 
hey um, where did you go? You're MIA! Did you move to a non-interneted location? I'm watching the first season of 24 on DVD and I need you to be back! Hello!?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?